Now is the time to secure Mac OS from thieves or hackers of data or the network. These are the basic parameters that you do in order to ensure your Mac:
Securing Mac Accounts
There are several things to know when selecting options for your connection objects, such as disabling the automatic application or disposal hidden user.
Here is the full steps to secure your login:
- Go to Apple ▸ System Preferences inside Accounts
- Click on the Lock to make changes
- Choose Login Options
- Disable automatic login, so strangers will require password to access into your Mac
- Hide list of users by choosing Display login window as Name and password. So even though some data thieves can lure you away from your Mac, they won’t get any hints to enter your account
- Don’t show Restart, Sleep, and Shut Down buttons
- Don’t give Password Hints. I believe you will remember your password
Securing Sleeping Mac
If you use your Mac for a long time, you prefer to sleep your Mac, rather than turn it off when you’re gone. It is during sleep offers Mac is essential. For you to configure your Mac, you must apply for a password each time someone wakes up your Mac.
Here is how to set it:
- Go to Apple ▸ System Preferences under Security pane
- Click on General section
- Enable password prompt to wake computer from sleep or screen saver, which is done by ticking the first checkbox
- You can also enable automatic log out after several minutes you away from your Mac by ticking the checkbox labelled Log out after x minutes of inactivity
Securing Keychain Access
Keychain login password default is the same as your login to your account password. So if anyone knows somehow forgotten, that person also to know all the passwords for your entire application, it is either IM or even your mail.
Don’t let this happen. The only way out is by differentiating your keychain and your Mac password. Here is how to do it:
- Go inside Finder: Applications ▸ Utilities
- Open Keychain Access
- Choose Keychain Access: Edit ▸ Change Password for Keychain Login
- Fill in all the requirements field. The good thing here is, you can see your password strength when entering new keychain login password
- Confirm your changes and try not to forget your new password
But of course, the better solution is not to let strangers know your login password.
Don’t Give Permission Easily
Before making changes to your Mac, your Mac will ask you a login window with the question of the password. This initiative aims to gain more control over your account.
If you forgot to ask Windows guest unexpectedly, do not give it if you do not really know what happened. Maybe it’s a malware .
Keep Your Mac Up To Date
Most of the time Apple will release updates for potential security problems. So make sure you check the daily updates. Or have your Mac checked daily for you:
- Go to Apple ▸ System Preferences..
- Choose Software Update pane
- Click on Scheduled Check section
- Enable check for updates and enable download important updates automatically
- Select Daily checking for updates
There is something you should take note if there is a new version of Mac OS X Update software from the list, be sure to check the forums to see if problems occur during the upgrade.
Controlling Screen Sharing
In Leopard, you can screen-sharing. It is a double-edged sword: you can share your screen as you want, but foreigners are allowed to access and control on the screen.
So you need to handle screen sharing permission: only to enable it with your permission. How to do it?
- Go to Apple ▸ Preferences..
- Choose Sharing
- Click on Screen Sharing
- Near the notification Screen Sharing: On, you will see Computer Settings.. button. Pop up menu will appear when you clicked on it
- Disable allowance for VNC viewers with password while enabling anyone may request permission. This way, in order to control your screen, everyone should get your permission first
Building Strong Firewall
Firewall is enabled by default your Mac. But to be complete, perhaps you are interested in applying stealth mode for your Mac: In order to hide your Mac in the wall.
- Open to System Preferences: Apple ▸ Preferences..
- Choose Security and Go to Firewall section
- Allow only essential services by choosing the second radio button
- Click on Advanced.. button to reveal pop-up menu
- Enable Stealth Mode where your Mac will give no response unexpected traffic source
The best way is to backup imposed on the operation of Leopard: Time Machine. After setting the automatic backup disk for the first time, your Mac, the backup for you.
But if you choose to backup manually, you can use Carbon Copy Cloner and/or Super Duper.
Encrypting Sensitive Data with FileVault
If damage to your data can do for your business, you should think about turning on FileVault. With FileVault, your file are encrypted so that unauthorized access to such data.
Also auch wenn Ihr Mac gestohlen wird, können nicht auf Ihre Dateien Dieb Zugreifen. Aber Vorsicht, wenn Sie Ihr Passwort, username and password vergessen haben, werden Ihre Daten für immer verloren breast (wie in der Warnung angegeben ist).
To turn on FileVault:
- Open System Preferences
- Go to Security Preferences Pane and choose FileVault section
- Set Master Password first
- Turn On FileVault. It will take a while to turn on your FileVault and keep in mind that you need harddisk free space as big as your Home folder size for temporary use while encrypting data
- You will be logged out during encryption process
It’s obvious, right?
One last thing, we currently have no viruses on Mac, but who knows one day some company will create a malicious. So my advice, care, profile, especially in matters of security and remain low.
People who read this also read:
- Protecting Data to Secure Mac OS
Mac's can not catch viruses, but they are definitely not of an attack by a hacker or maybe someone who secured the your Mac NABS at the airport. Here is a small series that keep your information only where you want to have. We start with the core ...
- Open Firmware Password – a feature of Mac OS X Security
What is Open Firmware Password? What can it do? Open Firmware Password is a small program on a chip in your computer that contain the boot process controls.
- Password Protect on Waking From Mac Sleep Mode
Even if you have confidence in your IT environment enough, it is your job to secure it to your Mac from prying eyes and secure your data. An effective way to do this is to require that the password is entered for access to your computer after it w...
- Clear Mac logs
On a Mac computer detects that an error has occurred somewhere in his system, it makes a note of the problem in a log file. Users can can this log file at any time on the console application that are found in the "Utilities" folder from Mac.
- Lock a MAC Screen
The absolute fastest and easiest way to lock the screen in Mac OS X is with a simple keyboard shortcut: Control+Shift+Eject . Hit that key combination and your Mac screen will go dark.